Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Mystery...

We're back up and running again. I had fully intended, tools at the ready, to start taking some stuff apart on Sunday and have a real good look-see troubleshooting session.

I undid some bolts. I looked at the engine. I undid a few more bolts. I looked some more. I grabbed a flashlight. I climbed underneath the car.

This was not going to be easy.

I reached under the hood, and unplugged the oil pressure sender plug again. It looks clean.

I also realize that there is no way in hell that I'll be able to get the tools or test equipment anywhere near where I need it to be. There is too much stuff in the way.

I sigh.

For giggles, I pop off the oil filler cap.

I start the car.

I look inside the valve cover. Oil is running very freely. There are tubes that drop a thin stream of oil right over the cam lobes. They are working perfectly, and it's really easy to see. My 6-year old is fascinated, despite the fact that she has no idea what she is looking at.

I check the gauge. Pegged to the top. Working perfectly.

The next day (Monday) I head to the gym. I start the car cold, and the gauge sits at zero for a three count, then pegs to the top.

At this point, I'm completely baffled.

I know that reseating the pressure sender plug will fix the problem temporarily, and I can always pop the filler cap to verify that things are working well. If I get the suspension rebuilt next spring, the sender will be much easier to get to with the subframe off.

FYI - this is the first September on record in Seattle where it has rained ZERO. I need to get as much usage out of the car as I can anyway!

No comments: