Saturday, September 13, 2008

...And Off Again...

It was too good to be true. My often useful wire-wiggle electrical fix was only temporary.

Yesterday, Kim and I had a night out to ourselves. We were going to see a concert on the Eastside, and I had actually planned a back way to get to the venue that would take advantage of carpool lanes on I-90 and a nice windy road along the lake. The weather was also a drop-top perfect sunny and 75. Kim packed up a picnic basket, and I hopped in the Benz and started it up. The oil pressure gauge stuck at zero.

At this point, I'm pretty sure it's the sender. It's s small electronic sensor that attaches to the bottom of the housing where the oil filter sits, and is connected to a wire that goes back to the instrument panel. It's moderately easy to get to. It also happens to be covered in sludge, and there is a gasket that is between the housing and the block that I suspect is leaking. I may end up following the philosophy of '...Well, since you're in there and have it taken apart already...' and look at doing the whole assembly.

I think it's an easy fix, but will take some time and probably involve lifting the car. The part is about 80 bucks online too. I posted a note to benzworld (the best message board I have found for these types of issues) to see what someone more experienced has to say.

The concert was awesome.

1 comment:

rose said...

wasn't the concert great! i wish we could have talked with you & kim more. theresa & i immediately regretted packing so much stuff! you all looked like you were having so much more fun on "the floor." still, great concert and i'm sure there will be others!