Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Back on the Road

I scratched my head on this one. I did web searches, scanned message boards, talked to the experts. I was faced with a couple of possibilities:

The oil pressure gauge was reading zero correctly. This was unlikely, but Very Bad News if I was wrong about that assumption.

The oil pressure gauge was reading zero incorrectly. This was the likely problem, but meant more difficult troubleshooting

I went back out to the car. I pulled the fuse that was broken before, and turned the key to 'on'. I verified that everything that was broken before (gauges, power windows, blinkers, etc...) failed to work again.

I replaced the fuse, and turned the ignition to 'on' again. That which failed is now working again. I'm even seeing a small movement in the temp gauge. Oil Pressure gauge still pegged at zero.

Pop the hood. Locate oil pressure sender (this is a small electric sensor that sends the signal back to the oil pressure gauge). Of course, it's only mostly accessible from the top of the car. I reached down and unplug, then reseat the sensor. (It's truly amazing how unplugging and plugging something in can do wonders for electronic equipment).

Flip key to 'on' again. Everything seems to be ok, but this time, I see a slight movement in the oil pressure gauge.

Cross fingers. Move key to start.

Engine springs to life. After 1/2 second, oil pressure gauge indicates full pressure.

Exhale.

We seem to be back to normal. I have no idea if my quick wire wiggle did anything, but it's working for now, and most importantly, more good weather is in the forecast.

No comments: