Thursday, April 10, 2008

To Do List

Today was title transfer day. I came home early and cleaned out the garage, so there is now adequate space for the car. I'm off to a social event after work Friday, so I'll go ahead and pick it up Saturday morning. I got the manuals , and looked through them, spending extra time on the chapter regarding the proper deployment of the soft top (remember, 68 and partly cloudy on Saturday). In case it's not obvious, I am really one of those overly-compulsive people who can really take car care too far and I can literally feel disoriented driving an unfamiliar vehicle when not really knowing how it all goes together. European cockpits with obscure markings make it worse. That said, I feel fortunate to have run across at least a few others with similar appreciation, and at least one or two whose absolute lunacy for their vehicles makes my affliction seem minor (they may be featured in upcoming posts, as there are some interesting stories to be told.). They are good people to know, and I've already exchanged valuable information with a few of them for this project.

I work very close to the main branch of the Seattle Public Library. FYI - they have just about every factory service manual for many of the cars you and I drive in print. They are in the reference section (look in the spiral at 629) and not available for checkout, but you can take them and review what you need. I did spend some time over a lunch this week paging through and reviewing some of the basic maintenance procedures for this car. Some internet research brought to light a couple of issues I'll need to address sooner than later.

Based on the quick test drive on Sunday, plus previously mentioned research, here is the to-do list:

Maintenance:
Fluid + Filter changes (Oil, Trans., Diff., brake, coolant)
Check/Replace plugs
Fuel Filter
Air Filter (already checked - looks good)
Pull Valve cover - check timing chain for single/double row (I'll post about this issue soon), and plan for replacement (not by me..)
Detail (the car is on nice shape - shouldn't take long...)

Things that may be/are broken:
Pass. side washer nozzle
Troubleshoot Oil Pressure gauge (pegged at Max pressure when running)
Check antenna - FM radio reception is non-existent (no KEXP)
A/C May not work (wasn't able to figure out climate control on short test drive)

That should keep me out of trouble. Plan for pictures on Saturday!

1 comment:

Kelley said...

The A/C worked for me when I drove it last year, but the radio was another thing. At first it played oldies AM stations that Nana used to listen to and that seemed to go well with the whole situation anyway. Now it plays nothing. Dunno why.