Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Quick Updates



It has been a busy week already with work, and it will not let up till the weekend, so not much physical work with the car is happening. I do have a couple items to post as updates, however. I received the M-B factory service manual on CD yesterday. I spent way too much time looking at it after the kids went to sleep. Complete, yet daunting in complexity. I'd also like to get an interior detail done (should be a quick job - it looks great already!), but family travel and other obligations may keep me from that for the immediate future. Ironically, it is supposed to be rainy and cold for the next several days, which buys me some time to get some real maintenance in before the sunshine arrives full time for Summer, however long that may be this year.

I was able to get a service appointment on Tuesday with an independent shop to have a look-see at the timing chain and related engine maintenance. I fear the end result, but it hasn't been easy to find anyone too excited to work on this car (aren't we in an economic slowdown or something? Shouldn't it be easier to find a good luxury auto mechanic at reasonable rates? - but I digress -), and I'm glad to be moving forward with some of the bigger issues.

I looked back at the to-do list, and there are some things to update there too. I think the A/C is working just fine. It hasn't been hot enough to put it to the test, but it did feel cold last time I cranked it up. Also, the oil pressure gauge, according to my research, is usually maxed out during normal operation. It does drop slightly when idling, but that's one less thing to troubleshoot. However, there is a fairly loud whine from the rear of the car when it starts up. Even when the car isn't moving, just at idle, it's there. That rules out differential and drive shaft, so I think it's probably the fuel pump that needs some attention. It's pretty accessible though, and the replacement procedure in the manual is clear. Maybe I should just focus on getting the radio fixed and these pesky noises will just go away. My BMW doesn't seem to make random noises, but maybe it does and I just don't know it because I'm always rockin' out...

Unrelated to the car, I am intentionally omitting mention of specific shops, products, or other resources I use for the project. I know it goes against Google's idea of leveraging the 'user-generated content to drive ad revenue model', but I'm not ready to give anyone a free ride yet. Plus, if something goes south, I would rather complain in anonymity than shout out their name and invite trouble. I'm all for free speech, but I got work to do, and if I got a reputation as a chronic complainer, it just wouldn't help the cause. That said, if you are interested in finding out what or who I use for a particular project ('Wow! Is that Carnuba Wax?'), comment the post, leave an email and I'll get back to you directly.

No comments: