Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Empty Space


Took the car to the shop today. The timing chain issue still has me bothered and I wold really like to get it taken care of without an overwhelming expense. The shop confirmed that it is a single row chain and I don't know that they're too keen on replacing it and leaving it a single as I have requested (see previous posts about this issue). The good news is that I actually got to drive it out of West Seattle today, and up over the viaduct. I actually got the thing to around 60 mph, and the drive is real smooth. There are some real soft springs there, so it feels a bit like an old Buick or some other land yacht twice its length. I'm starting to get a real appreciation for the roadster feel as well - heavy car, a torque-laden (relatively speaking) V8, supple suspension, smooth tranny - a real cruiser. It will take a little getting used to geometrically. With the long hood and short rear deck, I think the driver sits about halfway between the front and rear axle. Getting in and out of parking spaces takes a slight adjustment in knowing the four corners. Anyway, the garage is 1/2 empty, and of course, there is a little reminder of the missing roadster - kinda like a dog that messes the rug when you leave the house.

On the plus side, I did get my first real complement on the car today. I was sharing the courtesy shuttle, from the shop back to my office with two other riders. One of my co-riders made mention of the car, and how it looked to be in such great shape. She was wearing a long brown fleece overcoat and thought it would match it well.

Will keep posted on the shop's prognosis. Think sun!

No comments: