Friday, June 6, 2008

Gave it the Old College Try...

I had a 4 hour window this evening to try and get some work done. Today's objective was the transmission fluid and filter. Based on what I saw on the web and in the service manual, it looked pretty straightforward. Drain fluid. Remove pan. Clean Pan. Replace filter. Replace Pan. Replace fluid.

I got the front wheels up on ramps, and took a look. The transmission pan is covered by some sort of shield. The bolts to that shield are covered by two other shields with bolts of their own, making two interleaved layers of shielding to remove before I got to the main objective of the whole thing (this car supposedly tips the scales close to 4000 lbs. I see why). I got 5 of the 8 bolts of the main shield off, but the last three are right above the exhaust pipe (hot!!). It didn't take too long to realize if I went much further, I would be passing the point of no return, and that I was lacking some tools that would make the job easier. Furthermore, Kim is away for the weekend and I'm on guard with the children through Sunday evening, leaving me precious little time to complete the task.

So, I did what any good shadetree mechanic would do. Put the 5 bolts back, put the tools away, and went for a drive - to the hardware store. Got some u-joints for the tight spaces and a new 3/8" drive torque wrench. Great stuff!

No comments: