Saturday, August 23, 2008

Back to Civilization

I've been away on vacation for a week. Just got back today. The place we go is fairly desolate, and I made a great attempt to make it a 'real' vacation. I didn't check email, voice mail, or watch TV (except an hour of the Olympics - Equestrian). So, I've spent the last couple of hours catching up on news websites, blogs and my email to try and get a feel for what's happening. What I know:

- Michael Phelps did get his 8 golds (we found out about this one early in the week, but only because we picked up a Vancouver Sun on an excursion to the nearest town.)
- There was another tropical storm/hurricane (Fay). I don't know where it hit land, if at all. We're already to the 'F's?
- There have been a series of metal thefts in my neighborhood. The Benz and the 325 are in a carport. I should check to see if they still have their catalytic converters. (Side note to potential thieves: The houses on all three sides of me are occupied by professionals that work out of their home. You'll be seen.)
- Despite heavy volatility, the DJIA is 35 points from where it was when I left.

One quick story -

We take two ferry boats to and from our destination, and while waiting in line for the second one, I left the lights on in the Toyota for about an hour (while listening to the iPod and using my GPS unit to try and find an alternate route over the border). Ferry loading can be a stressful thing, requiring enough patience so you don't start the car too early and look like a dork, and enough attentiveness so you don't hold people up when it's time to go. As you may have guessed, the battery was very well drained when it came time to load. After a few embarrassing moments, I coasted the car down the ramp in neutral and got it out of everyone else's way. The ferry people bring over a battery and hook it up to your car. They must do this at least a dozen times a day, because the universal disclaimer about injury and damage is actually printed on the back of a BC Ferries business card. They just hand it to you on the spot, make you read it and hook up the battery. I started the car, and by their instruction, revved the motor for a few minutes.

Now, the tricky part. You get one shot to turn off the car, and try to start it back up again. If the car won't start, you don't get on the boat, because they don't want to risk having you block everyone's way AGAIN. Fortunately, the car Gods smiled and the Highlander burst to life. The bad news is that I was in the ferry equivalent of the 'penalty box', the area of the boat behind all of the semi trucks, buses and other commercial vehicles. At least we made it, which made it easier to convince my six-year old that we weren't going to die (her words, not mine).

The Toyota battery is the factory original (10/03) so I may be replacing that one in short order. It's the family car, and I'd hate to see them stuck somewhere. Note to self: move jumper cables to Highlander.

No comments: